Lots of lists on here right now, mainly because Chuck and Gossip Girl are on hiatus. I haven’t posted an article here yet focusing on Chuck, which is my favorite current show on television and created by Josh Schwartz (and Chris Fedak). While The O.C. is my favorite Schwartz show, Chuck has been the most consistent out of Josh’s three shows. Despite a few episodes in Season 3 that made no sense (Sarah and Shaw hooking up) the show has stayed pretty consistent. Here are some of my favorite episodes.
5. Chuck Versus the Other Guy- This was a great episode, after acting like a sissy for 2 and a half years Chuck finally sacked up and shot Shaw and hooked up with Sarah. Shaw was also a great villain in this episode, much better than when he was a “good guy.”
4. Chuck Versus the Imported Hard Salami- Rachel Bilson’s two episode stint on Chuck was great and this was her final episode. Chuck also kissed Sarah for the first time on this episode, and we found out Bryce was alive. The ratings skyrocketed for Chuck around this point and it was really when the show began to find its footing.
3. Chuck vs. the Subway/Chuck Versus the Ring: Part II- The Season 3 finale was great, Chuck’s Dad dying was very emotional and it was great for Elle to finally find out Chuck’s secret. To be honest it never made sense for him to hide it from her in the first place since it ultimately put her in danger, it was mainly an annoying plot device. The Chuck/Shaw fight scene at the end was one of the best in the history of the show.
2. Chuck Versus the Ring- Amazing episode, had many shades of The O.C. Amazing cliff hanger too, this was the absolute peak of the show and some of Josh’s best work in years. Josh Schwartz knows how to write one hell of a season finale (outside of The O.C.’s Season 3 finale).
1. Chuck Versus the Colonel- If Chuck got canceled this could have served as a season finale. Stephen Bartowski was great and Chevy Chase was surprisingly good as the villain. There was a sense of closure with this episode.
Over the years Josh Schwartz has created classic characters like Ryan Atwood, Seth Cohen, Chuck Bartowski, John Casey, Chuck Bass, and many others (Yes I know Chuck Bass is from the Gossip Girl books but he was changed drastically for the TV series) but he has also had his fair share of dud characters on his shows. Here is my list:
10. Emmet from Chuck (2008-2010)
Chuck has probably had the least amount of annoying recurring/guest characters out of all of Josh Schwartz’s shows, and I know putting Emmet on this list may be unpopular, but to me the character was way too cheesy and over the top. Josh”s humor is at its best when it is tongue in cheek, and to me the Emmet character was just annoying. Tony Hale was great on Arrested Development, but this character just didn’t work for me.
9. D.J. from The O.C. (2004)
As Season 2 of The O.C. began Josh decided to incorporate some new characters into the show. For the most part it worked, Alex, Zach, and Lindsay brought a new vibe to the show and had great chemistry with the core characters. Then there was DJ. DJ wasn’t really that dislikable, he was just, there. We never really found out anything without him, he was basically an archetypal character. The yard guy who frequently had his shirt off, a plot device for Marissa to piss off Julie. Did we ever even find out what DJ. stood for? He left after only a handful of episodes, and his character was so dull he managed to turn Marissa into a lesbian.
8. Teresa from The O.C. (2003-2006)
Teresa was introduced in Season 1 as one of Ryan’s past love interests. After the Oliver storyline, she became somewhat of a regular for the rest of the season. Teresa was simply dull always seemed depressed, she came off as just a plot device to keep Ryan and Marissa apart. Oliver was this too, but at least he was evil and it was actually interesting.
7. Damien from Gossip Girl (2009-2010)
Damien was Jenny’s creepy looking drug dealing love interest in Season 3. The whole storyline came off as contrived and Damien just wasn’t terribly interesting.
6. Kevin Volchok from The O.C. (2005-2006)
During the first half of Season 3 Volchok appeared in a couple episodes as some beach bum asshole who Ryan punched. He then randomly reappeared later in the season to begin a relationship with Marissa, and then in the finale he hit Ryan and Marissa’s car leading to Marissa’s death. Volchok was a boring villain. Luke, Julie, Caleb, Oliver, and Trey were all unique villains, you loved to hate them. Volchok was not entertaining, I did not want to see him on my television. Also why couldn’t Oliver be the one to off Marissa if Josh was so dead set on it?
5. Aaron Rose from Gossip Girl (2008)
Aaron Rose is one of the many love interests Serena has had on Gossip Girl. Like most of them, he was about as entertaining as watching paint dry. Aaron was an artist I think, and he and Serena broke up after a few episodes. I started to fast forward most of his scenes when watching on DVR so that’s honestly all I remember.
4. Rebecca Bloom from The O.C. (2005)
She sucked. Nuff said.
3. Vanessa from Gossip Girl (2007-Present)
Basically the Teresa of Gossip Girl, except Vanessa is a full time cast member and even more annoying. She also had the worst relationship in television history with Dan Humphrey.
2. Sadie from The O.C. (2006)
Oh Sadie, the self proclaimed “brunette beauty.” The actress who portrayed her, Nikki Reed, felt above The O.C. and claimed she only did it because her agency pressured her to. She began dating Ryan late in Season 3. At this point there had been enough wrenches thrown in the Ryan/Marissa relationship, they either should have been single or together after all that had happened.
1. Johnny Harper from The O.C. (2005-2006)
The man, the myth, the legend. Johnny Harper. The character that Josh Schwartz thought fans would fall in love with and would divide fans between Johnny/Marissa and Ryan/Marissa. Johnny and another annoying character Chilli were introduced when Marissa started going to public school. Johnny immediately fell for Marissa but just like with Oliver, Marissa didn’t notice. Johnny was a surfer, he wasn’t a dick, he was just always depressed and self centered. Johnny was infamously killed off on The Cliffhanger, when he literally fell off a cliff to his death. Many fans saw this as The O.C.’s jumping the shark and getting far too melodramatic.
So who are your least favorites?